LIMERICK — The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration has launched an investigation into a restaurant where a young woman was burned by cooking oil earlier this month.
An 18-year-old working at Dickey’s Barbecue Pit in the Park Town Shopping Center suffered the burns the evening of May 5 when the hot oil somehow accidentally spilled over her. The oil reportedly burned her head as well as other parts of her body.
“OSHA is investigating at this establishment,” said Joanna P. Hawkins, the deputy director of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Philadelphia region. “OSHA’s inspection began after it received a referral from the local police that a teenager had been seriously burnt in a workplace accident.”
Just two days after the incident, OSHA opened its investigation.
The victim, who has not been identified, was taken to Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia via medical helicopter after the incident.
She was listed as being in stable condition the day after the incident. A source said she has undergone several skin graft surgeries since the accident.
Initially, Limerick and Royersford Police responded to the call of the young woman being burned and started their investigation.
Limerick Police Chief Bill Albany said he couldn’t comment on the situation because OSHA’s investigation is now open and active.
“The agency has up to six months to complete its investigation,” Hawkins told 21st Century Media.