PHOENIXVILLE — The cause of a fire that displaced 20 people on Sunday has been identified.
According to Harrison Holt, the Chester County fire marshal, the fire began on a bed. The accelerant, Holt said, was smoking material — a cigarette or a lighter.
The fire started in the second floor of a house at the intersection of Church and Bridge streets around 6:45 a.m. It took about an hour for responding companies to extinguish the fire.
Dave Schrader, a spokesman with the Southeastern Chapter of the American Red Cross, said the fire victims are receiving help. The members of three families are staying in a hotel and were provided with clothing and food.
The house sustained approximately $300,000 in damage, Holt said.
In addition to the Phoenixville Fire Department, the Black Rock, Kimberton and Valley Forge fire companies all responded to the scene.