PHOENIXVILLE — A firefighter who collapsed while working last Thursday morning was released from the hospital, according to a press release from the Phoenixville Fire Department.
The name of the man will not be released, but Deputy Chief David J. Meadows said the man spent two days in the intensive care unit followed by four days in the telemetry unit at Phoenixville Hospital.
The 10-year veteran was apart of a crew battling a house fire around 1 a.m. on Jan. 23. At the time, Meadows told the Mercury the man was inside the house, pulling apart a wall to gain better access to a chimney fire which spread into the walls when he suffered from cardiac arrest.
According to Meadows, the man collapsed and firefighters around him immediately started medical treatment. The man was taken into another room of the house where firefighters performed CPR and administered two rounds of electric shock from an automated external defibrillator.
The efforts paid off, according to Meadows, because the fireman regained consciousness before he was taken to the hospital via ambulance.