UPDATED: Phoenixville firefighter suffers heart attack, in stable condition

(Updated 2:04 p.m.) PHOENIXVILLE — The firefighter who collapsed while battling an early morning chimney fire on Thursday is in stable condition at Phoenixville Hospital, said Deputy Chief David Meadows.

According to Meadows, at the request of the family the man’s name will not be released but he is a Phoenixville resident.

Around 1 a.m. fire crews responded to a chimney fire that spread into the walls of a house in the 900 block of Township Line Road, Meadows said.

Advertisement

The man was apart of a group of firefighters who were pulling apart a wall of the house in order to gain access to the fire when he collapsed, Meadows said.

“There were firefighters next to him who were able to stop and assist,” Meadows said.

Fellow firefighters moved the man into a room away from the fire then began performing CPR and administered two round of electrical shock from an automatic external defibrillator.

“He was unresponsive - no breath, no pulse - for several minutes,” Meadows said.

According to Meadows, the man regained consciousness and a pulse before he we put into an ambulance.

EARLIER VERSION OF THE STORY

A member of the Phoenixville Fire Department was reportedly sent to the hospital after going into cardiac arrest at a house fire early Thursday morning.

According to a press release issued by the fire department, firefighters were dispatched to a reported chimney fire in the 900 block of Township Line Road just after 1 a.m. A member of the department went into sudden cardiac arrest on scene while the department fought the fire, according to the release.

Emergency personnel performed CPR and used a defibrilator, and the firefighter regained a pulse and consciousness. He was transported to Phoenixville Hospital for further evaluation. The firefighter’s name was not released. Check back later for more details.