Konkoly completes miracle recovery

Michelle Konkoly quickly walked down the familiar East Wing of Methacton High School hallway to her former home pool last week, a spring in her step, a happy smile on her pretty face.

A stranger would have never believed that it was just over two years ago doctors feared Konkoly might never walk again after her horrendous fall out of a fifth-floor window.

On January 11, 2011, in the early hours of Tuesday morning, the swim team had just returned from their winter training trip and class was going to start in a couple of days. It was uncomfortably warm in her Georgetown University dorm room high up there on the fifth floor. Konkoly, a former Methacton standout swimmer and by then a Georgetown freshman going into her second semester, figured she would open a window to let in some fresh air.

But the window wouldnt budge. She started wrestling with it. And suddenly Konkoly lost her balance and plunged five stories to the ground below.


Asked a few day ago, gently, if she can recall the fear rushing through her mind and heart in those few horrific seconds of that terrible fall, she shook her head.

Id rather not talk about that, she said, shaking her head emphatically and suddenly fighting hard to hold back the tears.

A story published online by AOL FanHouse, January 13, 2011, states: Michelle Konkoly, a freshman swimmer at the University of Georgetown, was admitted to a Washington hospital in serious condition after falling from a five-story window early Tuesday.

Konkoly was transported to George Washington Hospital with an injured spine, broken ribs, a broken foot and a punctured lung from the fall out of a residence hall that was reported to authorities around 1:45 a.m. Tuesday, according to DC Metro police.

Konkoly was 18 at the time.

It happened and thats out of my control now, she said. What is in my control now is how I take it day by day, following the actual incident. There is nothing I can do to change that it happened.

She paused for a moment and continued, It was the most painful thing Ive ever experience in my life. Have you ever had a doctor ask you, How bad is your pain? 1 is the least, 10 is the worst. Well, now I know the 10. Everything else is like a 2 or 3 now. It was pretty bad.

She fought her way back, is briskly walking again, studying, driving, working a weekend job, training and competitively swimming again. That is what matters now.

But she had to come a long way in those two short years.

When asked if she ever felt like giving up, her reply was a quick and firm, No.

There were certainly rough points when I would get down a little bit, she said. But there were so many people around me, especially my mom and dad, just saying, Hey, listen, youve got to keep going. My personal feelings were that I was very forward thinking, telling myself, I need to get better because I need to go back to school in the fall. You cant take a day off from that, you cant take an hour off. And having so much support around me, there was no reason to give up with so many people encouraging me all the time.

And just hours after that fall, so many of her bones broken, unable to move in any way, Konkoly vowed right then and there to swim competitively again.

The very first thing I said when I woke up in the hospital the morning after my accident and my coach was there, was, Coach, save me a spot on the team next year because Im coming back. It didnt ever occur to me that this would make me stop swimming, she said.

* * *

The nightmare call to her parents, Les and Jane Konkoly, came in the middle of the night.

It was a phone call you never want to get and the worst phone call Ive ever gotten in my life, Les Konkoly said. We got a phone call, whenever it was, 1:40 in the morning, that there had been a terrible accident. It was a guy named Todd Olson, who was the Dean, the Vice President of Students for Georgetown. And he said, She is being taken to the George Washington Trauma Center. And he said, She is very badly injured, you and your wife need to get down here immediately.

And that was pretty much all he said because they didnt know what her condition was at that point. They said she had fallen out of a window, but they didnt tell us it was her dorm window. So I didnt know exactly where she had fallen. They said the police were investigating it because they didnt know what happened and were trying to figure it out. And then the police ruled it was an accident.

We were in complete shock. It felt like Id been punched in the stomach and I just couldnt breathe. But we very quickly said, whatever condition she is in, weve got to be strong for her.

They instantly jumped in the car and rushed from their Eagleville home to Michelles bedside at the D.C. hospital.

And the first time I talked to her in the intensive care unit, she said, Daddy, Im going to exceed all your expectations, her father recalled.

Thats how she was. She had just gotten out of surgery, so it would have been at 6 oclock that Tuesday night, so less than 24 hours after the accident. And she told herself, OK, a terrible thing has happened, Im going to fight it with everything I have. Im going to try my best to come back. Im trying to cheer her up, give her a pep talk, were going to get through this, and she was cheering me up.

Maybe she got that attitude dont cry, just move on forward and get well from her parents.

Both Jane (Michelles mom) and I looked at it as, we have to do whats the best for Michelle, her father said. We have to be her voice with the medical people, have to make a lot of decisions, which we ended up doing. We didnt want Michelle to see us in shock. We had to be strong for her, had to put on a brave face.

And she does not ever talk to her parents about went through her mind during those frightening moments of that fall either.

I think she completely blocked it out of her mind what happened, her father said. Its like a defense mechanism. The doctors at the Magee Rehabilitation Hospital in Philadelphia told us thats common for accident victims. And to be honest, we havent pushed it with her. We cant change what happened, its just going to open up a wound. So we never bring it up with her.

She was so courageous, had such a positive attitude, really from the first day. I really think her swimming background, all the training, the focus that these swimmers have. The ability to push your body further than you ever thought possible. Everything she had learned in high school swimming at Methacton helped her get through all this. It was like, every day she had to make a decision am I going to give up or am I going to keep fighting to get better?

And we kept telling her, You can beat this thing. And we didnt know if she was going to beat it or not.

In the hours and days after the fall, the doctors at the George Washington Hospital were not even sure that Konkoly would ever walk again.

I was paralyzed, pretty much completely, for just about a month, she said.

Did it enter her heart and mind that she might also never swim again?

I knew that I was going to swim, she said firmly. I knew I was going to swim before I knew I was going to walk. The doctors told my mom that they were cautiously optimistic, hopeful, that I would walk at some capacity again. But I dont think anybody really anticipated that it would be so soon. And that I would walk so well, without a limp or crutches or anything.

* * *

She had come such a hard and long way since that terrible fall that, miraculously, didnt cost Konkoly her life, nothing was going to hold her back from being her old self again. But the road to recovery was admittedly difficult.

I was an inpatient at GW hospital in D.C. for two weeks, where all my surgeries were done. From there I went as an inpatient at Magee Rehabilitation in Philadelphia for five weeks. That was a very rigorous rehab. Trying to navigate my wheelchair, it was hard.

After the five weeks at Magee she returned to the family home in Eagleville for several more weeks of intense rehab. She still could not attempt to try to walk because of her shattered right heel and spinal cord injury. But swimming ...

So thats when I did some swimming at Shannondell, the retirement home in Audubon, she said. My grandmother lives there and its a great place. But I still had to do the daily rehab program at Magee for eight weeks. Every day we drove down to South Philly, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., for learning how to walk again.

She happily remembers that first time back in the water, as she slipped out of the wheelchair when her mom had turned her head for a moment.

Aaaah, it was so cool, really cool, she said, her face lighting up brighter than the summer sun shining through the Methacton school front windows. My mom drove me to Shannondell, put me in a water wheelchair, wheeled me down in the pool and said, OK, youre just going to sit in the wheelchair. And I said, OK. Sure mom. She turned her head and I slipped out of the wheelchair and swam away. My mom was freaking out. She worried that I was going to sink because I couldnt use my legs at all. But I swam with my arms. It was a little tricky not being able to use my legs at all. She came chasing after me, yelling Get back in the wheelchair.

That was a mere three months after that fall.

Water and swimming is said to be great for rehabilitation. Slipping into the water there was one thing, doing a lot of rehab in it quite another, Konkoly pointed out.

I had to wait a good amount of time until all my incisions healed, she said. And when I was first doing rehab, it was six hours a day, five days a week and a lot of times I didnt even have the energy to go do more rehab at the pool. It was also quite the adventure getting me to the pool. I couldnt drive, my mom had to drive me to the pool, get me in and out of the car, get me inside to the pool, put me in a wheelchair, go down the ramp, get me in the pool. So it wasnt something that we could do every day.

And Konkoly stressed how her dedicated mom, dad and two younger sisters Karen and Abby played a huge role in her recovery. It helped that her mother owns her own small business and works from home, she said. And while mom remained at her bedside in D.C., dad stayed home and took care of sisters Karen and Abby.

My mom fortunately was able to shift some co-workers so they could pick up a lot of her stuff and keep the business running, she said. But it was really tough for her because I required a lot of care and a lot of time just to do every-day activities and then still run her business.

Emotionally, Konkoly never got down, she insisted.

Definitely not, she said. The hardest thing for me when I was at home was loneliness. I had been at college for months, had made great friends, was having such a good time. And then, all of a sudden, Im alone in my house every day for like six months. That was hard. I had made these great new friendships and wasnt with my friends anymore. My sisters and my parents were around. But its different than being college, obviously. You can say Why me? all you want, but youre still in that situation.

* * *

When she did return to swimming it wasnt for rehab.

It was more of, I want to swim now because I want to swim competitively again, she said.

The Paralympics had in no way entered her mind when she first started swimming again. The idea came about out of frustration when she wasnt up there with the best of her Hoyas team anymore after her return

Now Konkoly is competitively swimming again on the Georgetown team and is additionally chasing 2016 Paralympic dreams as a S9 paralympic swimmer. She just returned from two weeks at the Paralympics Training Center in Colorado and is already the S9 American record holder in the 50-yard freestyle, the 100 free and 200 free for Short Course yards. All of these records were set this past season as a member of the Georgetown team.

The Paralympic involvement started when Konkoly became frustrated when she wasnt back to after she returned to the Georgetown team and wasnt up to her old par and out front the best right away.


She had taken a medical leave of absence for that semester, from Georgetown after the fall.

I red-shirted because I knew that I was going to have an extra semester left to make up for the one I missed and wanted to still have my eligibility if I wanted to swim for that semester, she said. So I red-shirted, trained with the team and the let swim exhibition only in a couple of meets. And I got a little frustrated, not with the lack of competition, but lack of competition that was good for me because I wasnt as fast as everybody anymore.

Because they had progressed to the Georgetown sophomore level, while she had lost time. And if she cant chase anybody to touch first, the race isnt any fun for Konkoly.

So we began to look around where else I could compete against people closer to my level, and started looking into the Paralympics, she said. And in March of 2012, my mom and I went down to Baltimore to find out a little more about what the deal was. We met with a couple of Paralympic coaches, just to kind of see if this was something I would be qualified for, if they thought I would be any good at it. I swam for them and they said, Yes, definitely, you would be a good qualifier for this, but you have to get classified.

They have different classifications, from 1 to 10. They test all your muscles and then give you a number. One is the most severely disabled, 10 the least severely disabled. And when I was classified last year I was a S9.

I went to a meet a couple of months later in Ohio, competed and got classified for my number in the Paralympics, Konkoly recalled. After that I went to the Paralympic Trials in North Dakota (June 2012) trying to make the London Team. Based on how I performed at those trials got me on the Emerging Team, a team for athletes that are up and coming and hope to some day be on the national team. As part of being on the Emerging Team you have the opportunity to go out once a year to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado. There is a team of Residence Parelympians that live there all the time, train 24/7.

And Konkoly was able to join them for a week last month.

My coach from Georgetown, Jamie Holder, came with me, which was really cool, she said. He got to learn a lot more about Paralympic swimming. That whole world is a lot different than NCAA swimming. It was also a requirement that you have to bring a coach and when I asked him, he was super excited. I think it was really good for him because he has never coached a disabled athlete before. And thats not a bad thing at all. But theres some different things that he could learn, in addition to just being in a world-class training environment.

For Konkoly it was yet another major boost.

It was really cool, really neat, she said. It got me a new surge of excitement for the whole Paralympics swimming thing because I hadnt done a meet since last June because of the way my year went. With all my classes I just couldnt travel. It got me so excited to be racing with these kids in Colorado, beating kids, being with people on a world-class level. For me to be competitive with them was really neat.


I feel great, she said, when asked if the pain doesnt still flare up at times.

I have very little pain now other than when Im really sore after I go to the gym. Not that much more than anyone else who would be doing what Im doing. Like my feet hurt after I walk for long periods of time. It really doesnt stop me from doing what I want to do. I think the swimming definitely played a huge role, both physically and getting my mind-set ready to perform the recovery that I did.

And being in such good shape from swimming when I got hurt, that allowed me to progress through my recovery a lot quicker because I had so much upper body strength to begin with. And mentally it got me back in that phase where every day when I go to practice I know, you got to bring the right mind set to work really hard. And it was kind of the same way when I got to the rehab gym every day - alright, this is practice, Ive got to give it my all, I want to get back where I need to be.


She was by no means a swimming fan as long as she can remember, was already 13 when she first started swimming and, at first, had to be pushed and shoved by her parents to keep it up.

I know, I was old when I started swimming, she said with a laugh. We were kind of discovering that I was really bad at basketball. I was tall, so my parents had said, alright, youre going to be a basketball player. But I wasnt really going anywhere with that.

We did have a pool in our backyard that was put in a couple of years before and I was doing OK in that pool. So my parents said, OK, well send you to the Methacton Aquatic Club. Turned out I had to go to Norristown because they were redoing the Methacton pool. And I hated it, cried every single day. I wanted to quit all the time, and my dad would say, You just got to make it to the next meet and then you can quit. And kept saying, Alright, one more meet. One more meet. And we got through the whole season like that, I ended up doing really well, made the championships relay, and discovered, hey, Im pretty good at this. And thats how it all started.

Konkoly wasnt just pretty good when she got to high school, she was one of the best on that excellent Warriors team, their top sprint freestyler, a member of their great relay teams that swam state qualifying times.

She was not only one of Methactons best, but also one of the leagues top swimmers and could have easily gone after an athletic scholarship. But she had opted to be a walk-on at Georgetown because that was the university she wanted to attend.

I wanted to go to Georgetown because I was not focused on swimming when I looked at all these schools, and was more focused on the academic programs. I got it narrowed down to a couple and Georgetown was the one with the swimming program best fit my times and my abilities at that point. It worked out really well and Im so happy and I love it.

She is majoring in biology, plans to go on to medical school. And instantly made the Hoyas swim team. And come fall, Konkoly will returning there. And Georgetown was always supportive through this whole ordeal.

They definitely were, she said. They helped me get back, got me a first-floor room for my second-year back because they didnt want me to have to deal with a lot of steps/ And the team welcomed me back as if Id never left.


And she isnt bitter over what she had to go through or ever ask, why me?

Im too busy getting through college and just trying to keep going with my goals, she said.

And she has plenty of goals.

Id like to go on to medical school and become a doctor. And Id like to definitely continue swimming, she said. The exact path of how long Im going to keep swimming depends on a lot of things, including medical school. I would love to say that Im going to try for Rio, the 2016 Paralympics. That depends a lot on where my academics end me up. But theres a lot of big Paralympic meets every year and Id definitely like to get involved in some more of those. I love swimming, I never want to stop.


Konkoly turned 21 in February, trains at the North Penn pool for several hours nearly every day. Is giving swim lessons to youngsters in the family backyard pool. Works for a catering company on weekends. Come fall, she will return to Georgetown again.

She may refuse to recall what rushed through her mind, if anything during those horrifying moments of that fall, Konkoly does know how lucky she was.

I think about that every day, she said wistfully. Every time when I jump in the pool I think Im so lucky Im able to jump in the pool. When I get in the car, so lucky that I can drive myself to the grocery store. That I can do things independently is a huge deal that might have been different.

It is also important to her to set an example that no mater what, with the right attitude you can fight your way back.

And I hope that I can represent that in multiple facets, not only competitive swimming, she said. I know at school, a lot of my teammates have mentioned to me that if theyre rough day, and then hey look over. And even if Im not doing it 100 percent, Im trying, trying to do it the best I can. And its, well, if Michelle can do it, even if its not the best way, I have to keep trying.

And to my sisters. To show them that nothing can stop you.